PDF English & Italian

Virginio Ferrari was born in Verona, Italy, in 1937, to a family of stone carvers and artisans. World War II left an indelible mark on Ferrari’s upbringing as his father, Guglielmo, was obliged by the Fascist regime to work in a steel factory in Germany. Not knowing when or whether Guglielmo would return, Letizia, Ferrari’s mother, decided to move the family to Colà, a small town on Lake Garda, where the children would be safer from the dangers of the war. After several months, however, and as American bombings increased, the physical and psychological strain of the war began to take its toll on the Ferrari family and Letizia became very ill. At this point, Ferrari’s mother chose to have her youngest child at the time, Virginio, sheltered in an orphanage where she knew he would be adequately provided for. These were difficult times for young Ferrari, being separated from his family and watching the daily bombings of his nearby city. At the orphanage, Ferrari’s imagination would prove to be his most faithful ally. Ferrari remembers, for example, how the other children at the orphanage received toys and gifts from the nuns while he, because he was there only temporarily, received only basic nourishment. It is for this reason that Ferrari began to make his own toys out of the barbed wire, scraps and stones he would find near the orphanage. In the meantime, Ferrari’s mother and siblings would visit him whenever it was safe for them to travel. As the Americans progressively gained control of Northern Italy and the end of the war drew nearer, Ferrari returned to Colà, where the family was again reunited with Guglielmo, who had survived a difficult voyage back from Germany. 

When World War II ended and the Ferrari family was able to return to Verona, young Ferrari dedicated himself to the family business of marble carving, working alongside his father and grandfather. The classical sculpting methods Ferrari studied at art school were put into immediate practice in the family’s bottega (artisan studio), as the Ferraris participated in the reconstruction of a devastated Verona, 70% of which the city had been destroyed during the war. In the years to come, Guglielmo and his family took on the honorable task of assisting in the restoration of many of the historic monuments that currently stand in Verona. Virginio remembers, for example, how he and his family helped to rebuild Ponte Pietra, one of Verona’s most ancient Roman bridges—how he helped to carry the blocks of stone to be used in the restoration, and how he was able to study first-hand how the Romans had constructed their bridges by watching the modern artisans imitate and revive the ancient techniques.

For much of his youth, Ferrari found work sculpting for Verona’s many churches and cemeteries. Early on, however, Ferrari began to see the unlimited potential for learning in the city’s local foundries, and his interest gradually shifted from marble to bronze. As a young apprentice in the studios and art foundries of Verona and Milan, Ferrari was able to meet personally and learn from such significant contemporary artists as Salvador Dalì, Miguel Berrocal, Renato Guttuso, Joan Mirò, Marino Marini and Luciano Minguzzi. Still today, the foundries of Verona enjoy international renown for their fine bronze casting methods, which are rooted in the traditions of the Italian Renaissance. Because of his early exposure to both innovative sculpture methods and traditional techniques, Ferrari’s early sculptural works attest to both a mastery of sculpting human forms as well as a budding interest in abstract styles that reflect the influence of the international artists then working at the Verona foundries.

After graduating from the Accademia Cignaroli in 1959, and having completed his two-year term of obligatory military duty, Ferrari made an outstanding debut in the Italian art scene by holding his first one-man show in Venice, at only 24 years of age. If Ferrari ever had any doubts about his artistic calling, the Venice show reaffirmed his commitment to fully pursuing his passion for sculpture. At the show’s inauguration, Ferrari received two important invitations from art collectors from New York City and Atlanta. One month later, the young sculptor embarked on his first trip to New York with thirty of his sculptures and a one-way ticket to America. After a three-month waterfront strike, which resulted in the sculptures being held on dock with an indefinite release date, Ferrari managed (despite his extremely limited English) to organize a show in Philadelphia where he, in fact, sold half of the works exhibited.

On his return to Italy, Ferrari learned that the Atlanta art collectors he had met in Venice had died in a tragic plane crash. Ferrari was devastated by the news and immediately set to work on an impressive series of works entitled Volo tragico (Tragic Flight), with one sculpture from this series being donated to the Atlanta Museum of Modern Art. Ferrari’s work during this period also was considerably influenced by his recent stay in New York, where he had to survive for months, not knowing if or when he would be able to sell his work, and uncertain whether he would be able to return to Italy. In New York, Ferrari had found hospitality at artists’ studios and had visited numerous gallery openings and museums. The contacts Ferrari made during his New York sojourn not only provided him with shelter and food during New York’s cold winter months but also exposed him to America’s emerging new art movements. In homage to Ferrari’s memory of New York emerged the series Organic Forms, exemplifying of the sculptor’s early experiments with abstract expressionism.

In the summer of 1963, Ferrari’s life took another decisive turn when he met his future wife, Marisa Boccaccini, at her engagement party in Verona. Shortly after Ferrari arrived at the party, he defiantly told Marisa and his friends that he would be the one to marry her. Before returning home to Udine, Marisa called Ferrari to say goodbye. Ferrari insisted on accompanying Marisa on her trip and, by the time the train arrived in Udine, Marisa had a new fiancé to introduce to her unsuspecting parents. A few months later, Ferrari was married and, in 1965, he and Marisa welcomed the birth of their first son, Alberto. At this time, Ferrari began teaching at the Accademia Cignaroli. It is also in this period that Ferrari met Albert Pick Jr., a wealthy American entrepreneur and art collector who, after visiting Ferrari’s studio in Verona (via Fabio Filzi), invited the sculptor to exhibit his work in Chicago. Thanks to his friendship with Albert Pick Jr., Ferrari was able to immigrate to America, where he entered an artist-in-residency program at The University of Chicago. In Chicago, Ferrari’s artistic style entered a new phase as he became immersed in the pop art movement, then so in vogue in America. Experimenting with materials such as naugahyde, plastics and aluminum, Ferrari vividly expressed the social tensions and sexual dynamics of the 1960s in his artwork.

Between 1966 and 1975, Ferrari taught sculpture at the Lorado Taft Midway Studios, at the University of Chicago, where he fostered a unique collaborative relationship with his students and cultivated an environment of intense creativity. Exhibits and Happenings were regularly organized with other artists/faculty members and students, as well as performance art pieces. His presence in the Chicago art scene was felt immediately due to early commissions of his public sculptures at Loyola Medical Center and Northwestern University. In those years, public sculpture thrived at the University of Chicago, as Henry Moore, Giò Pomodoro and Ferrari, among others, installed pieces throughout the campus. Soon, however, the university would alter its course and, in 1974, Ferrari was denied academic tenure—a controversial decision that created a considerable divide between Ferrari’s devoted students and the university’s changing art department. Ferrari then faced a very critical period in his life and career. Ferrari’s second son, Fabio, was born in 1969 and a third son, Marco, in 1974. As a husband and father of three, Ferrari wondered if it would be best to return to Italy or continue living and working in Chicago. After serious reflection, Ferrari decided to remain in the United States and face a still uncertain future along with his family.

Then, in 1977, Albert Pick Jr. passed away. The personal loss of Ferrari’s close friend and leading patron was a tremendous blow for Ferrari, but the sculptor’s decision to persevere with his artwork in America continued to draw strength from the confidence and respect that Pick had bestowed on him during his lifetime. After Pick’s death, Ferrari, who no longer enjoyed the financial security afforded to him by teaching, began to focus his energies entirely on sculpting. In 1978, Ferrari’s younger brother, Michele, then an architecture student, visited Chicago for a period of two years. Ferrari and his brother collaborated on various projects, experimenting with Virginio’s surreal environmental visions and proposing a series of environmental sculpture parks. At the same time, Ferrari continued to exhibit his sculptural work and install monumental pieces around the country. Ferrari, along with architects H. Weese, K. Schroeder, G. Hinds and photographer R. Gordon, purchased the Rowe Building in Chicago’s historic Printers Row district. Ferrari and other members of the Row community collaborated closely in the restoration of the then dilapidated building, ultimately creating a prolific series of exhibits and art installations in the building and surrounding neighborhood. This arts-driven initiative helped to revive an entire area of the city of Chicago and, as a result, dramatically increased the neighborhood’s desirability as a residential and business environment.

In 1987, Ferrari moved his studios to Grand Avenue on Chicago’s West Side, a prevalently Italian-American and Latino neighborhood, while he continued to reside in Hyde Park, near the University of Chicago campus. In the years that followed, despite inevitable challenges engendered by constant fluctuations in the art market, Ferrari and his wife were able to meet their family’s economic necessities and raise three healthy young men. Naturally, the successful balance of Ferrari’s family life and ongoing personal artistic achievements constitutes an accomplishment of particular importance to the sculptor, a source of great pride for Ferrari’s wife and children. 

From the early Sixties onward, though his style of sculpting has undergone radical changes, Ferrari’s work has sought, above all, to participate with the urban environment and invite meaningful interaction between the chance observer and the surrounding space. Ferrari’s fundamental artistic mission, as he interprets it, has been to reaffirm the human dimension in urban landscapes through the medium of art. With over thirty monumental public sculptures in Chicago alone, and many other works acquired by museums and corporate collections in Atlanta, Florence, Guayaquil, Los Angeles, Milan, Nashville, Philadelphia, Rome, Shanghai and Verona, the significance of Ferrari’s contribution to contemporary public art is only reinforced by his 50 solo exhibitions and participation in 150 group shows. Ferrari has received international recognition for these achievements, including the Illinois State Service Award for outstanding contributions as a sculptor who has vitalized and humanized urban spaces. Honored by the president of Italy, Oscar Luigi Scalfaro, Ferrari was also bestowed with the title Ufficiale Ordine al Merito della Repubblica Italiana for his important contributions as an Italian sculptor to the international art world. 

September 16, 2001, marked the inauguration of Ferrari’s first monumental sculpture in Verona, appropriately titled La famiglia (The Family). On this occasion, Ferrari’s homecoming was celebrated not only for its artistic importance but also for its human significance. Viewed by many as a symbol of the many children who grew up in Verona in the aftermath of the Second World War, Ferrari received high praises as a local hero who was able to rise above countless material obstacles in order to realize a personal dream. Since 2001, Ferrari has been graciously welcomed back into the community in which he was born and raised.

On April 18th, 2003, Ferrari achieved one of his life-long dreams: to exhibit at Palazzo Forti, Verona’s Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art. The retrospective exhibition, Virginio Ferrari: Ombre della sera 1959-2003, included two hundred sculptural works spanning more than four decades. Twelve outdoor sculptures were installed throughout the historic center of Verona creating a promenade from his Verona studio at the Arsenale to the Museum entrance. This was an unicum, marking the first time a contemporary artist was authorized temporary installation in Verona’s historic city center. During the period of the installation, the sculptor’s studio remained open to the public, displaying works in progress and hosting workshops and lectures. In conjunction with the retrospective, a documentary film on Ferrari’s life and work, directed by Marco, the sculptor’s youngest son, was screened at various venues. The six-month long exhibit proved to be a great success. Ferrari received the City of Verona’s official medal of recognition and subsequently earned membership to the European Academy of Sciences, Arts and Humanities in Paris, France.

In the years leading up to and following the retrospective exhibition, Virginio and his wife, Marisa, began dividing their time between their home in Chicago and a countryside house in Custoza, Italy, which was nestled in the vineyards near Lake Garda, where the sculptor spent his childhood during the war years. In the spring of 2008 Virginio was contacted by John D. Kuhns, a former student of his from when he was assistant professor at the University of Chicago. At that time, Mr. Kuhns had a number of successful business investments in China, and saw an opportune time to propel Virginio to enter the Chinese art market. For the following three years Virginio made numerous trips to China, where he conducted a series of lectures and exhibits in Beijing and Shanghai, while also having the great fortune of creating two outdoor monumental sculptures for the cities of Deyang and Shanghai.

Virginio and Marisa now reside and work between a new home and studio in the Tuscan hills of Guardistallo, Italy, and their steadfast home in Chicago. As Ferrari paints and sculpts in the garden of his Italian farmhouse, one can sense the deep serenity and satisfaction of a man who has never faltered in pursuing a life’s dream, passionately and unconditionally dedicated to the love of art and the art of living.


Virginio Ferrari è nato a Verona nel 1937, da una famiglia di scalpellini e artigiani. La Seconda Guerra Mondiale lasciò un segno indelebile nella sua educazione: suo padre, Guglielmo, fu obbligato dal regime fascista a lavorare in un’acciaieria in Germania. Avendo perso completamente le sue tracce, Letizia, madre di Ferrari, decise di trasferirsi con la famiglia a Colà, un piccolo borgo sulle rive del Lago di Garda, ritenendo che là i bambini sarebbero stati più al sicuro dai pericoli della guerra. Tuttavia, dopo alcuni mesi, e mentre i bombardamenti americani aumentavano, le fatiche fisiche e psicologiche causate dalla guerra iniziarono a farsi sentire dalla famiglia Ferrari e Letizia si ammalò gravemente. Per questo motivo la madre decise di affidare suo figlio Virginio, il più giovane, ad un orfanotrofio presso il quale sperava avrebbe trovato protezione e cure. Iniziarono tempi difficili per il giovane Ferrari, separato dalla sua famiglia, ed anche a causa dei continui bombardamenti alle città limitrofe. All’orfanotrofio, l’immaginazione di Ferrari si rivelò essere la sua più fedele compagna. Ferrari ricorda spesso che mentre gli altri bambini dell’orfanotrofio ricevevano giochi e regali, a lui che era là temporaneamente, veniva solo dato da mangiare. Fu per questo motivo che Ferrari iniziò a costruirsi da solo i suoi giochi usando fili metallici, frammenti e pietre trovati nei pressi dell’orfanotrofio stesso. Intanto, la madre e i fratelli andavano a trovarlo, anche se viaggiare non era sicuro. Quando gli Americani iniziarono ad ottenere il controllo dell’Italia settentrionale e la fine della guerra si avvicinava, Virginio si riunì nuovamente alla famiglia a Colà, Guglielmo compreso, felicemente sopravvissuto all’esperienza tedesca. 

Finita la guerra la famiglia al completo poté tornare a Verona, e il giovane Ferrari si dedicò all’arte dell’intaglio del marmo, lavorando a fianco del padre e del nonno. I metodi di scultura classica che Ferrari studiava alla scuola d’arte, vennero messi immediatamente in pratica nella bottega di scalpellini di famiglia, mentre i Ferrari partecipavano alla ricostruzione di una devastata Verona (il 70% della città era stato distrutto dal conflitto mondiale). Negli anni seguenti, Guglielmo e la sua famiglia, insieme a molti altri artigiani locali, iniziarono l’ardua ma straordinaria impresa di aiutare nella ricostruzione dei monumenti storici che attualmente sono a Verona. Virginio menziona nei suoi ricordi la ricostruzione di Ponte Pietra, uno dei più antichi ponti di Verona di origine romana. Aiutando a trasportare i blocchi di pietra usati per la ricostruzione, fu in grado di studiare direttamente i metodi e lo stile dei Romani nella costruzione dei ponti, e di approfondirli, osservando i moderni artigiani che nel restauro riutilizzavano le tecniche antiche.

Per gran parte della sua gioventù, Ferrari lavorò come scultore in molte chiese e cimiteri di Verona. Precedentemente, infatti, Ferrari aveva iniziato ad essere conscio dell’illimitato potenziale insito nella possibilità di imparare nelle locali fonderie della città, e per questo il suo interesse gradualmente si andò spostando dal marmo al bronzo. Come giovane apprendista negli studi e nelle fonderie d’arte di Verona e Milano, Ferrari incontrò personalmente artisti contemporanei come Salvador Dalì, Miguel Berrocal, Renato Guttuso, Joan Mirò, Marino Marini e Luciano Minguzzi, che non potevano non influire profondamente sulla sua personalità artistica. Anche oggi, le fonderie di Verona hanno fama internazionale per l’eccellenza dei metodi per colare il bronzo che sono radicati nelle tradizioni del Rinascimento Italiano. Grazie alla precoce scoperta degli innovativi metodi di scultura e delle tecniche antiche, i lavori del giovane Ferrari esprimono sia la padronanza delle forme umane, sia l’interesse verso gli stili astratti, riflettendo l’influenza degli artisti internazionali che operavano nelle fonderie di Verona.

Dopo essersi diplomato presso l’Accademia Cignaroli nel 1959, e aver completato i due anni del servizio militare obbligatorio, Ferrari, a soli 24 anni, fece un notevole debutto nello scenario artistico italiano, tenendo la sua prima mostra individuale a Venezia. Se egli avesse mai avuto dubbi sulla sua vocazione artistica, la mostra di Venezia riaffermò l’impegno a perseguire la sua passione per la scultura. All’inaugurazione della mostra, Ferrari ricevette due importanti inviti da parte di un gruppo di collezionisti d’arte di New York e Atlanta. Un mese dopo, il giovane scultore s’imbarcò per il primo viaggio verso New York con trenta delle sue sculture e un biglietto di sola andata per l’America. Dopo uno sciopero di tre mesi dei portuali, che aveva provocato il blocco delle sculture nel porto per un tempo non definito, Ferrari riuscì (con il suo inglese estremamente limitato) ad organizzare una mostra a Philadelphia, dove vendette metà delle opere in esposizione.

Al ritorno in Italia, Ferrari apprese che i collezionisti d’arte di Atlanta, conosciuti a Venezia, erano tragicamente morti in un incidente aereo mentre tornavano negli Stati Uniti. Ferrari fu sconvolto dalla notizia e immediatamente iniziò a lavorare ad una serie di opere emozionanti intitolate “Volo tragico”; una delle sculture di questa serie fu donata al Museo di Arte Moderna di Atlanta. I lavori di Ferrari di questo periodo furono notevolmente influenzati dall’esperienza newyorkese, allorché lo scultore aveva dovuto sopravvivere per mesi, non sapendo se e quando sarebbe stato in grado di vendere i suoi lavori, e se sarebbe riuscito a tornare in Italia. A New York, Ferrari trovò ospitalità in uno studio artistico e visitò numerose inaugurazioni di gallerie e molti musei. I contatti che Ferrari si era procurato durante il suo soggiorno newyorkese, non solo gli procacciarono vitto e alloggio durante i freddi mesi invernali statunitensi, ma lo misero in luce all’interno del nuovo movimento artistico americano. In omaggio alla permanenza di Ferrari a New York nacque la serie di opere intitolate “Organic Forms” (“Forme organiche”), tipiche dei primi esperimenti di espressionismo astratto dello scultore.

Nell’estate del 1963, la vita di Ferrari ebbe una svolta decisiva, quando incontrò la sua futura moglie, Marisa Boccaccini, alla sua festa di fidanzamento a Verona. Poco dopo il suo arrivo alla festa, Ferrari, in tono provocatorio, disse a Marisa e ai suoi amici che sarebbe stato lui quello che l’avrebbe sposata. Prima di ritornare a casa a Udine, Marisa chiamò Ferrari per salutarlo e lui insisté per accompagnarla durante il viaggio; nel tempo in cui il treno arrivò a Udine, Marisa aveva un nuovo fidanzato da presentare ai suoi ignari genitori. Pochi mesi dopo, Ferrari si sposò e, nel 1965, festeggiarono la nascita del loro primo figlio Alberto. Ferrari iniziò allora ad insegnare al Liceo Artistico G.B. Cignaroli di Verona. In questo periodo incontra Albert Pick Jr., un ricco imprenditore americano e collezionista d’arte che, dopo aver visitato lo studio dello scultore a Verona (Via Fabio Filzi), lo invitò ad esporre le sue opere a Chicago. E’ grazie all’amicizia con Albert Pick Jr. che fu in grado di emigrare in America dove entrò a far parte di un programma dell’università di Chicago come artista-in-residenza. A Chicago, lo stile di Ferrari entrò in una nuova fase immergendosi nel movimento artistico della Pop Art, allora così di moda in America. Sperimentando con materiali quali pelli artificiali, plastica e alluminio, Ferrari espresse vivacemente nei suoi lavori la tensione sociale e la dinamica sessuale degli anni sessanta.

Tra il 1966 e il 1975 Ferrari insegnò scultura presso i Lorado Taft Midway Studios, all’Università di Chicago, dove incoraggiò una straordinaria collaborazione con i suoi studenti e sviluppò un ambiente di intensa creatività. Regolarmente venivano organizzati esposizioni e incontri fra artisti/insegnanti della facoltà e studenti. La sua presenza nel panorama artistico di Chicago fu subito avvertita grazie a commissioni per sculture pubbliche al Loyola Medical Center e presso la Northwestern University. In quegli anni, la scultura pubblica si sviluppava all’interno dell’Università di Chicago, e molti scultori, tra cui Henry Moore, Giò Pomodoro e Ferrari, installarono opere in tutto il campus. Molto presto, tuttavia, l’università cambiò il suo corso e, nel 1974, Ferrari rifiutò l’occupazione accademica: decisione controversa che creò una seria divisione tra gli affezionati studenti di Ferrari e il nuovo orientamento del dipartimento d’arte. Virginio quindi affrontò un periodo molto critico per la sua vita e per la sua carriera. Il secondo figlio di Ferrari, Fabio, nacque nel 1969 e il terzo, Marco, nel 1974. Come marito e come padre di tre figli Ferrari si domandò se sarebbe stato meglio ritornare in Italia o se continuare a vivere e lavorare a Chicago. Dopo una seria riflessione, decise di rimanere negli Stati Uniti e affrontare un futuro incerto insieme alla sua famiglia.

Nel 1977, Albert Pick Jr. morì. La personale perdita del caro amico e del mecenate fu un terribile colpo per Ferrari, ma la decisione dello scultore di proseguire con il suo lavoro in America trovò continui stimoli nella fiducia e nel rispetto che Pick aveva riposti in lui nel corso della vita. Dopo la morte di Pick, Ferrari, che non godé per molto tempo della sicurezza economica datagli dall’insegnamento, iniziò a concentrare tutte le sue energie solo nella scultura. Nel 1972, il fratello più giovane di Ferrari, Michele, allora studente di architettura, visitò Chicago per due anni. Insieme i due fratelli collaborarono a vari progetti, sperimentando surrealistiche visioni ambientali di Virginio e proponendo una serie di sculture naturali per parchi. Allo stesso tempo, Ferrari continuò ad esporre e ad installare le sue sculture. Insieme agli architetti H. Weese, K. Schroeder, G. Hinds e il fotografo R. Gordon, Ferrari acquistò il “Rowe Building” nello storico distretto di Chicago Printers Row. Ferrari e altri membri della comunità Rowe collaborarono strettamente alla ristrutturazione degli edifici allora cadenti, creando una prolifica serie di esposizioni e di installazioni artistiche negli edifici e nelle zone circostanti. Questa iniziativa privata determinò la rinascita dell’intera area e, come risultato, ne aumentò in modo sensazionale l’interesse sia come zona residenziale che come zona economica.

Nel 1987, Ferrari trasferì i suoi studi a Grand Avenue (nella zona ovest di Chicago), un quartiere abitato in prevalenza da Italo-Americani e da Sud-Americani, mentre la sua residenza rimase a Hyde Park (vicino al campus dell’Università di Chicago). Nonostante inevitabili sfide causate da imprevedibili fluttuazioni del mercato dell’arte, Ferrari e la moglie furono in grado di crescere tre ragazzi e di far fronte alle necessità economiche della famiglia. Non sorprende che l’equilibrio della vita famigliare di Ferrari e la crescente conquista artistica personale costituissero un completamento di particolare importanza per lo scultore, ciò che fu sempre motivo di grande orgoglio per la moglie di Ferrari e per i figli.

Dai primi anni sessanta in poi, anche se il suo modo di scolpire ha subito cambiamenti radicali, i lavori di Ferrari hanno cercato, soprattutto nel tempo, di partecipare all’ambiente urbano e hanno sollecitato significative interazioni tra l’osservatore casuale e lo spazio circostante. La fondamentale missione artistica di Ferrari, come lui la interpreta, è di riaffermare la dimensione umana nel paesaggio urbano attraverso l’utilizzo dell’arte. Dopo oltre trenta monumentali sculture nella sola Chicago, e molti altri lavori acquistati da musei e collezioni ad Atlanta, Firenze, Guayaquil, Los Angeles, Milan, Nashville, Philadelphia, Roma, Shanghai e Verona, il significato del contributo di Ferrari all’arte pubblica contemporanea è solo rafforzato dalle 50 mostre individuali e dalla partecipazione a 150 mostre di gruppo. 

Il 16 settembre 2001 segna l’inaugurazione della prima scultura a Verona, intitolata “La famiglia”. Il ritorno a casa di Ferrari è stato celebrato non solo per la sua importanza artistica ma anche per il suo significato umano. Visto da molti come simbolo dei tanti bambini cresciuti a Verona negli strascichi della seconda guerra mondiale, Ferrari ha ricevuto grandi elogi come “eroe” locale che è stato in grado di emergere al di sopra degli innumerevoli ostacoli materiali, allo scopo di realizzare un sogno personale. Dal 2001, Ferrari è ritornato nei luoghi in cui è nato e cresciuto. 

Il 18 aprile 2003, Ferrari realizza uno dei suoi sogni: esibire le sue opere a Palazzo Forti, Galleria d’Arte Moderna e Contemporanea della città di Verona. La mostra antologica, “Virginio Ferrari; Ombre della Sera; 1959-2003”, raccolse duecento lavori in più di quattro decenni di attività artistica. Dodici opere monumentali vennero installate nel centro storico, creando così uno sculpture walk, un percorso che, dall’Arsenale, sede dello studio veronese dello scultore, raggiunse l’ingresso del museo. L’iniziativa fu un evento unico, in quanto, per la prima volta, il centro storico di Verona ospitò un’installazione di arte contemporanea. Per tutto il periodo della mostra, lo studio dello scultore rimase aperto al pubblico con una serie di laboratori e di interventi vari; tra cui, la proiezione in diverse sedi di un documentario sulla vita e il lavoro di Ferrari, creato da Marco, il figlio più giovane dello scultore. La mostra a Palazzo Forti durò sei mesi ed ebbe un grande successo. Ferrari ricevette la medaglia d’onore dalla Città di Verona e venne ammesso come membro nella European Academy of Sciences, Arts and Humanities di Parigi. 

Terminata la retrospettiva a Palazzo Forti, Virginio e sua moglie Marisa iniziarono a trascorrere la loro vita tra Chicago e Custoza, in un casale attorniato dai vigneti nelle campagne veronesi, dove lo scultore aveva trascorso la sua infanzia negli anni della guerra. In quel periodo Virginio fu contattato da John Kuhns, un suo vecchio studente dell’Università di Chicago, che lavorava nel mondo della finanza, riscuotendo notevole successo nel campo degli investimenti finanziari in Cina. Kuhns ebbe l’idea di far conoscere l’arte di Virginio in Cina, e così grazie a quell’incontro, per i 3 anni successivi, Virginio partecipò a diversi viaggi, conferenze, interviste, mostre a Pechino, ed ebbe due grosse commissioni nella città di Shanghai e Deyang.

Attualmente Virginio e Marisa risiedono e lavorano tra Chicago e la nuova residenza di campagna, in un pittoresco paesino dell’alta maremma toscana, Guardistallo. Qui tra le colline toscane, Ferrari ha trovato un nuovo modo di vivere e lavorare, riuscendo a trasmettere la serenità e l’appagamento di un uomo che non ha mai esitato nell’inseguire il suo sogno, dedicandosi con la sua incondizionata passione all’amore per l’arte e per la vita.